Monday, March 1, 2010

Blog Assignment #1 - Culture Shock


1. I am Belarussian, and although there is a significant minority of immigrants from ex-Soviet republics in living in New York, I haven't found many people in this country who know what or where Belarus is (to the point where I just say "Russia" to spare myself a lengthy explanation). One of the main differences I have noticed is the method by which Americans study. There seems to be a stress on group work and projects, where a team collaborate toward a goal, and each member has a particular responsiblity. This wasn't the case in Belarus, where our schools stressed an individual approach to research and study. Assignments were personal and your work was your own, not a collaboration, and I have found this system of learning a bit difficult to get used to.
2. I've also noticed a difference in American and Russian humor. Americans seem to laugh at situational comedy, highly obscene/shocking jokes and "pastiche" humor (e.g. shows like "Family Guy" and "The Simpsons"), that utilize pastiche/post-modern subjects that only someone with a vast knowledge of 20th and 21st Century American media culture would understand. Russians tend to find word play more humorous, as well as something called "Cherny Yumor" (Black Humor), highly grotesque, often cold-blooded "jokes" that reflect bitterness toward political/life situations.
3. Firs time in my life I have been exposed to cultures and religions different than my own. For example, at my place of work there is one colleague who is a Hasidic Jew. I remember an incident at work a few months ago where I was assisting my colleague with his internet settings, and somehow an video of Brittney Spears appeared after clicking on a certain link. She was barely dressed and dancing, and the imagery embarrassed him so badly that he literally jumped out of his seat and ran to the next room to pray for forgiveness. I obviously found this funny, having never seen a reaction like this, but it also made me realize that there are other cultures and religions who may be more or less sensitive to certain ideas and situations. As a result, I have been more mindful of what may or may not be interpreted as offensive to other cultures.

5 comments:

  1. We have same situation here, I also come from a culture emphasizing on individual work, I also am used to do things on my own. Here I hAVE TO learn new way to study because American culture stress on communication and social skill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad about people not know where Belarus is, I gave up explaining where our country is a long time ago.
    I also agree about how different education is here versus ex-USSR countries. No one there can even imagine what a multiple choice exam is. Its hard to explain that having choices is sometimes actually harder than having to right out the entire answer yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do understand your point of view. In my side of story, People always jokes about North Korea. I still believe North Korean and South Korean are same people :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am originally from Ukraine, but have never had the opportunity to go to school there so unfortunately I can not agree or disagree with any aspect of the individual work. I can say that I have heard plenty of times that the education system is America is very inferior to other countries. Maybe you adapting to the American norm of education may not be such a great idea. I do hope that you are enjoying your stay here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also from one of the ex-Soviet republics and I run into the same problem as you concerning that people in this country do not know what or where my country is. I also say that I am from Russia sometimes not to waste time on explaining where my country is located.

    ReplyDelete